Jacinda Ardern Steps Down

 

I am not sure if I should feel happy or sad on account of New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Kate Laurell Ardern announcing her decision to step down.

I have been an ardent Jacinda Ardern fan since the last two years. I say two years, because that’s when I started paying attention to international politics and J Ardern came to my notice. I don’t want to say that Jacinda Ardern is a role model since I don’t see myself ever entering politics. However, there is so much about J Ardern that I admire. Unlike many politicians, she isn’t brash or unnecessarily aggressive. Instead, she is unusually principled and civilized, the very epitome of grace and assertiveness. She joined New Zealand’s Labour Party when she was very young and became the world's youngest female head of government when she was just thirty-seven.

Jacinda Ardern’s stint in office has been one long lesson in work-life balance, something most employers give lip service to. Arden gave birth to a daughter on 21 June 2018 and continued to work as efficiently as ever. Later when Covid hit New Zealand, Ardern showed exemplary leadership. Ardern’s skillful handling on the pandemic meant that New Zealand was able to contain Covid-19 much more successfully than other countries. On 15 March 2019, a lone gunman attacked two mosques in Christchurch and killed 51 people. Ardern immediately introduced strict gun control laws and won worldwide praise.

J Arden is stepping down as Prime Minister much before her term ends. Most politicians do everything possible to stay on in power. When J Arden said that she 'don't have enough in the tank', I found it to be a refreshingly honest admission and my admiration for Arden has gone up by several notches as a result.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bicycle Stories From Montpellier

Cycling to La Grande Motte From Montpellier

Fixing the Floorboards (Fiction)