Notes From Kerala

I’m now in Kerala for a week with my grandparents who live in a village called Mundakayam. Mundakayam is a ninety minute drive from Kottayam town and is at the eastern periphery of Kottayam district. The road from Kottayam to Mundakayam is called KK Road, the KK for “Kottayam – Kumaly” and old milestones marking the distance are still in vogue. Places enroute KK Road are carry the names of the  milestones. So, Mundakayam is the 33rd Mile (from Kottayam) and where we live is actually the 31st Mile. Ask someone where they live and pat comes the reply: “Muppathi-Onne” or “Thirty One”. Go past Mundakayam (the 33rd Mile) for a kilometre or so, cross the bridge across the Manimala River and you’ll be in Idukki District and rubber plantations give way to tea.


The bridge across the Manimala River

Every time I am in Kerala, I am reminded of how beautiful it is . Possibly the most beautiful tropical place I have ever visited, even counting Goa.

Where we live, we are surrounded by the Western Ghats and the tops of the neighbouring mountains are thickly forested (or at least covered with rubber trees) and there are many streams which flow into the Manimala River.

This time, I think I can see more lights on the tops of mountains, which means more people have moved into previously uninhabited places. Also, yesterday, when I went for a walk up Karadi Mala (a small hill which abuts Inchiani road) I saw that a new concrete road has been built. Karadi Mala used to be accessible only through a steep flight of steps, around hundred odd. Later they built a road which runs from the top of Karadi mala to Inchiani road. Then yesterday, I saw that one more road has been built very recently. The people who live on Karadi Mala are doubtless happy to be serviced by one more concrete road, but the new road broke my heart as I mentally calculated the number of trees that would have been cut down to make way for the road.

Kerala’s population apparently isn’t growing, unlike the rest of India. However, every Malayalee who returns to Kerala after having worked elsewhere wants a new house. So, agricultural land is cleared and yet another concrete structure comes up. People everywhere complain of the excessive heat and the stream where my brother and I fool around is almost dry (its summer, but usually there’s more water in it).

Kerala, stay green, clean and please not add more concrete unless strictly needed.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bicycle Stories From Montpellier

Cycling to La Grande Motte From Montpellier

Fixing the Floorboards (Fiction)