Blast-furnace heat – If not for global warming, would this be happening?


A couple of days ago, I chanced about this CNN News Article titled “‘Blast-furnace heat every day’: Record temperatures cancel classes, widening learning gaps across Southeast Asia” and my heart sank (as it usually does when I read anything about climate change and global warming). An 11-year-old student studying in Phnom Penh is quoted as saying: “My classroom does not have air conditioning. It’s very unpleasant and uncomfortable. On some days, it can even get so hot that it feels like your skin is burning." I can so relate to that. My own school did not have air conditioning till now, but A/Cs are now being installed. My school is situated very close to the sea. On the other side of the road, lies a park and beyond the park, is the sea. One would assume that a building so close to the sea would get enough breeze to avoid air conditioning, but no, it’s sweltering hot inside our classrooms, not all of which have perfect ventilation and voila, A/Cs are here. Fortunately, my school is run by a not-for-profit trust and most students are from well-off families and my school can “afford” air conditioning. I’m sure there are hundreds of thousands of schools across South Asia and South-East Asia which can’t afford air conditioning. 

Many parts of India are experiencing above normal temperature now, which makes this a horrible month for me, in terms of weather, since May is usually the warmest month in Mumbai. I keep looking for signs of change, something to show that our attempts to reduce pollution and use clean energy is making a difference. However, I am yet to see anything that would cheer me up in this regard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bicycle Stories From Montpellier

Cycling to La Grande Motte From Montpellier

Fixing the Floorboards (Fiction)