A visit to Nîmes on Victory Day


Lucky me, May 8 is a holiday in France to mark Victory Day, the day on which the Allies formally accepted Nazi Germany's surrender in 1945, consequently ending World War II in Europe. Accent Francais, where I am doing an intensive French course, took us students to Nîmes by coach and I had a lovely time.

Nîmes, pronounced in French as “Neem” with a very short à at the end, is around 60 kilometers north-east of Montpellier, where I am based. Nîmes used to be an important European city during the time of the Roman Empire and has a number of buildings that look Roman. Nîmes is even referred to as the "French Rome".

As usual, I took a few snaps and treated myself to an ice cream!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bicycle Stories From Montpellier

Cycling to La Grande Motte From Montpellier

Fixing the Floorboards (Fiction)